- a person who pretends to more knowledge
or skill than he or she possesses
- one who, without justification, overtly
presents himself as having a special quality or significance
- a person who makes elaborate,
fraudulent, and often strident claims to skill or knowledge
- one who acts as though more important,
valuable, or special than is clearly warranted
- People who do not know Jacques Clouseau
think of him as France's greatest detective; however, those who do get
to know him are quick to realize his incompetence and limitations.
- Jacques Clouseau fancies himself a suave master of deduction
and disguises, but invariably ends up falling off couches, stumbling
over potted plants and creating havoc while baffling interviewees with
his ridiculous paté-thick accent.
- Jacques Clouseau has become synonymous
with anyone who keeps making ludicrous assumptions and has difficulty
solving routine problems.
- We all know someone who thinks, without
any justification, that he/she is well-informed and brilliant. I know
one such person. Can you guess who? Look at the picture!